Summer Camp for Youth With Autism
The Family Resource Network together with G&E Therapies is proud to offer a six week Recreational Summer Camp for children with Autism or Pervasive Developmental Disorders (PDD) free of charge to campers and their families! This wonderful opportunity was been made possible by a grant from the Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities (OMRDD).
A child eligible for participation in the Camp must be:
- A resident of Broome, Tioga, Delaware, Chenango, Otsego, or Tompkins County
- 6-12 years of age
- Formally diagnosed with Autism or PDD
- Placed in a regular education classroom during the school year
- Toilet trained and independent with toileting skills
- OPWDD eligible or private pay
- Without history of flight risk
Our Camp is located at the Grace Lutheran Church, 709 Main Street, Vestal, NY, and will run Mondays-Fridays, from 8:30am to 11:30am 6-12 years old, 12:30- 2:30 pm one day per week, 13-18 years old. July 1st through August 12th, 2011. Our Camp staff includes therapists, educators, and a registered nurse. Daily activities will focus on developing the camper's social/emotional, cognitive, communication and motor skills. Fridays are special days because it promotes friendships and social communication through:
- a sibling/friend can attend Camp with the camper
- a special guest presenter from the community joins us
- we offer "Power Hour", a time for parents to relax, share stories, network, lend support, attend discussions led by local professionals on autism-related topics.
Please send us a brief email about a child who you know that may benefit from the G&E Therapies Summer Camp. Tell us about the child's interests and abilities, and how we may contact his/her family with more information. Please contact Anne Marie Murphy, CCC/SLP, G&E Therapies, at AMurphy@GandETherapies.com.
More information is available on the G&E Therapies website - www.gandetherapies.com.